introducing new pullets to already settled pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yay-for-chickens!, Apr 3, 2009.

1. yay-for-chickens!

yay-for-chickens! Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    Hi, I have 3 Rhode Island Reds, one of them turned out to be a roo so I want another gal but I figured I'd go out and buy a pullet around the same age (7 weeks).

Does anyone have experience trying to integrate young pullets to a new one? I was wondering if it might go over fairly easy as my girls and one boy play fairly well together and don't peck at each other too much other than the roo bullying the girls a little.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

3. CHICKS4ME

CHICKS4ME New Egg

Apr 4, 2009
    OHIO
    I ALSO HAVE SOME CHICKS TO ADD TO OUR ALREADY EXSITING FLOCK.
    MY BROWN-LEGGERS ARE 6 MOS OLD. AND MY WHITE-LEGGERS ARE 2 MOS OLD. I HAVE THEM IN THE SAME COOP JUST SEPARATED BY A MAKE-SHIFT PEN. HOW CAN I GO ABOUT INTRODUCING THEM.

4. yay-for-chickens!

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    I was gunna do the same thing today. I'm splitting the coop in half with chicken wire so they can smell and see each other and then i'm making a pen within their already large pen for the new pullet.....not sure how this is gunna work out but we'll see!

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Talk to speckledhen; she is really good on the biosecruity measures.
    I can tell you from experience:

1 Don't get them at a flea market, etc where they have been exposed to who knows what.

2. Isolate for 30 days means isolate for 30 days so far away that they can't catch anything airborne. Wearing different shoes, clothes etc when going between groups and no shared equipment.

I bought 2 healthy looking hens to add to my flock and it turned into a disaster. I am sure it can be done but take the precautions recommended. It sounds like a simple solution but it's not so simple.

6. yay-for-chickens!

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    darn...Well too late for isolation... I guess I'll just hope for the best...She came from a really clean place that raises pullets almost in a free ranging situation and was still on medicated feed as are mine....heres hoping..

7. yay-for-chickens!

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    i decided to separate them for a few weeks....i got guilty..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by