Introducing new pullets

MilleFluersRus

Hatching
Sep 14, 2015
So I know there is a lot about introducing new ladies to your flock but I have 16 babies that are about 5 weeks and they are fully feathered and I would like them to go outside but I have my concerns. I have a silkie rooster and a bantam hen already, and they aren't too excited about the new residents.

So I know there is a lot about introducing new ladies to your flock but I have 16 babies that are about 5 weeks and they are fully feathered and I would like them to go outside but I have my concerns. I have a silkie rooster and a bantam hen already, and they aren't too excited about the new residents.
I had so much bad luck with introducing "chicks" to the flock I quit. I never do it any more. If I did they would be adults so they can somewhat protect themselves. If I am free ranging the flock----I will let the young birds out one day and the older birds the next. When my younger birds get to laying age---the older ones take a ride to the Auction. I never keep a layer over 2 years.

There are a lot of ways to integrate new members to an existing flock. If you have a way to pen/house them next to your adults for a while so they can all see each other you may find it easier.

There are a lot of creative articles/threads/ideas about integration here on BYC and the web - pick and choose some tips that would best suit your situation and see if they will help.

Here's a couple to get you started - good luck:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

There are a lot of ways to integrate new members to an existing flock. If you have a way to pen/house them next to your adults for a while so they can all see each other you may find it easier.

There are a lot of creative articles/threads/ideas about integration here on BYC and the web - pick and choose some tips that would best suit your situation and see if they will help.

Here's a couple to get you started - good luck:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

True, True, True, I just like to keep mine separated so when its time for the older to take a ride---I do not have to get in there and figure out which one is older---- I clean the whole coop out. I know a lot of owners keep their chickens till the end and If I was to do that I too would integrate but I like to sell them while they are some-what young. Selling chickens is what I do!!

Ok so I tried to fence the babies inside the pen so they could see each other but not touch each other. The hen ran directly up to chicks and began to flap and peck through the wire. The rooster then attacked the hen
1f602.png
. The rooster is super weird about flapping, if the ducks or the other chickens flap he freaks
1f602.png
. So I found a solution. The adults are now free ranged and the babies are in the coop. And everyone is happy

Ok so I tried to fence the babies inside the pen so they could see each other but not touch each other. The hen ran directly up to chicks and began to flap and peck through the wire. The rooster then attacked the hen
1f602.png
. The rooster is super weird about flapping, if the ducks or the other chickens flap he freaks
1f602.png
. So I found a solution. The adults are now free ranged and the babies are in the coop. And everyone is happy

LOL gotta love those weird roosters, you never know about them.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution, hopefully everything will continue to go well for you.

Back
Top Bottom