Introducing new puppies to chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by basicliving, Jun 27, 2008.

1. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We have our chicks in a coop with a fenced in, covered (with a shrimp net) chicken yard. Once we finish fencing in the front/back yard of the house, we'd like to get a couple of puppies to help keep wildlife discouraged from getting in the yard. We plan to do this within the next 3 months or so. We'll build a dog kennel and have a run attached to it, but we'd like to eventually let the chickens out of their run and into the yard, along with the dogs.

Naturally, I envision everyone living peacefully together as one big happy family. But I've read many posts from people whose own dog(s) have attacked/killed their chickens. I'm hoping that by getting puppies, it will be a little easier to teach the puppies to leave the chickens alone.

For those of you with puppies or dogs and chickens - how do you recommend introducing them to each other and what have you done to insure the dogs leave the chickens alone?

Many thanks,
    Penny

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    I don't know how to help you with this but maybe this will give you a boost on replies.
    -Kendal

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Hi, we have 6 chickens and 2 ducks and last summer got a springer spaniel pup to join our old grump. We started by only letting the pup see the chickens behind wire everyday whenever we were down at the run (in the garden) He could also see them in the field but again through wire. When he looked interested we said a firm no. We then started to walk him in the field on a lead again saying no if he looked at them. He is very intelligent and quickly learned they were not to play with. We then walked him among them off the lead - he has great respect for my husband and if he says 'no' the dog knows he means it. Jac is now a year old and trusted around both ducks and chickens but i would never leave him completely alone with them. He moves them on to eat their poo and this is what they are for him - poo machines!! I think the answer is patience and consistency and never ask for trouble by expecting too much. At first if something runs then it is a game and you need to avoid that at all costs! Good luck.

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We had a Springer Spaniel for many years. When he (and eventually the other dogs we had) passed on, we decided not to get dogs again until we moved to the country. Springers are wonderful dogs. Very smart, sweet, and fun. They're also bird dogs, so it's wonderful you've trained yours so well around the chickens!

Thank you for the advice. I'm hopeful the puppies we end up with are easy to work with. Sounds like it will take time and patience - I'm willing to give both of those.

Does anyone else have any tips on this subject?

Thanks again,
    Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by