Introducing new Roo to Hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Freebird2, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Freebird2

Freebird2 New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    Smyrna
    This is my fist flock. I have three hens that we've had for about a month and today I'm picking up a Mr. Roo. Any advise on introducing my new man to the ladies? Thanks!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure, assuming he is mature, or at least as old as the girls, there should be no problems. He will merely assert himself and mate with them all and crow showing his dominance and success. He may encounter resistance from one or two of the more dominant hens, but he will prevail.

Now, if he is younger and not mature, that could be a problem as the older girls will resent the intruder and attack him, sending him scurrying for cover. In that case, he must be introduced slowly, perhaps penned seperately so they can get used to his presents. When actually turned loose with them, he will need room to escape.

Just the facts. Hope it goes well........Pop

3. Freebird2

Freebird2 New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    Smyrna
    Thanks Pop, I went on the chat line and almost all suggest keeping him caged for a while. I really hate the thoughts of that but just want to do it right for my chix.

4. lakeguy55

lakeguy55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    We just went through the same thing here. I acquired a 5 week old Barred Rock roo from another family, and was concerned about making introductions with our little flock (2 BO, 2 Sex Links, and 2 Barred Rocks) all 4 weeks old. I put him in a large carrier, with food and water, and faced it towards the coop. We watched him for a couple of days, then put him in with the girls. There was some chasing and flapping, but within a few minutes, they all seemed to settle. It's been over a week now, and they are getting along very well. It seems no matter what, they work it out. Just keep an eye on them, and it will be fine.

5. Auntbeast

Auntbeast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Rabun County, GA
    Well, my flock is a mess right now. Thanks to delays in shipping. I have 1 week old Light Brahma hens, a 5 week old AustraEasterEgger and a Light Brahma rooster that is about a year old.

What the heck am I gonna do? When is it safe to introduce babies to a grown rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by