1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new roo to others.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lonomakana, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    I just brought home a new Cuckoo Maran roo. I already have 3 "table top" (very small bantams) roos for 7 barnyard hens and 2 table top hens. I know, too many boys.... Anyways, I just let the CM out into the yard and he's gotten his butt handed to him and the tt's won't stop chasing him. So I stuck him in the coop by himself so he can catch his breath. I think the little guys are going to kill him or he'll have a heart attack from running around so much (he's huge). Any suggestions? I know that bloodshed is part of it, but any hints on integrating him?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    You will need to monitor there interactions for a while, because the new roo will try to take the flock if bothered and since the other roos are bantams fighting may be hazardous. So just in case they do fight you need to be there before anything bad happens.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it safe to assume this new roo is young? Mature cocks, no matter what size will kill him if he can`t escape. If they are free range, pen him out where they can get used to him and after a week or so, it may not be so hard on him. Won`t be a smooth transition, though.

4. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    They bloodied him up pretty good. I moved him to the brooder coop I usually keep my tt hens in. I'll keep him there alone for a week or so.

5. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    My fowl are in a 4000 ft sq fenced area. I have two coops. One 4x8x6, 2 story and one 2x4x3. The new roo is about 9 months old and the tt's are well over 1 year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by