Introducing new rooster to established roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moms Tree, Dec 3, 2013.

1. moms Tree

moms Tree Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    I have a flock of chickens that are about 15 weeks old. There are 3 roos in this flock, who all get along very well (right now), since they were raised together from babies... However, I have five 6 week old chickens I just put in their own caged off section of the coop, to start the see, but don't touch introductions. I plan to leave them caged off for a couple of weeks, then let them free range together with the older chickens, before returning to the coop together at night. I noticed one of the little chickens developing 3 rows of comb (they are easter eggers), and believe it may be a roo. My question is... will the older roosters tolerate a younger one coming into the flock? Or will they just kill him, no matter how much introduction time they get?
    Thanks in advance.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are never definites with chickens, because there are just too many variables involved (coop size, animal temperament, size of flock, etc). It'll help that they've had a few weeks of seeing one another. Making sure there are plenty of roosts available will help, when the time comes. Since many battles occur defending roosts, if your coop allows try adding additional roosts along another wall for the newbies (again...when the time comes).

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

So far you are doing the introduction correctly with a planed focus for the future
    now the Easter Egger Rooster is a mellow type of rooster but he will protect
    himself but a pecking order will be established this you can count on what you
    did not write about is the type Chicken the other Roosters are ........

gander007

4. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    All the chickens are easter eggers.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You will have a fine flock and it sounds like you acquired your
    new additions as to widen the gene pool good thinking in your
    planning of a healthy flock .......

gander007

6. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    just want to make sure they all get along... if I have to rehome the new rooster... will do...

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have enough hens to support 4 roosters? How much space do you have?

Your older guys all get along now, because the hormones haven't really started flowing.

I do put younger roosters, around 4 months, in with older birds and have never had a rooster kill another bird, or even seriously injure it. The younger birds' lives aren't so happy for a while, though, they get chased a lot and are kept to the outside of the flock.

8. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    Well... I'll have 30 hens when they all get into the coop after about a month... still in brooder boxes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by