Introducing new rooster to hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cheekiechickie, Mar 14, 2016.

1. cheekiechickie

cheekiechickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    We've had our rooster in the house since we got him, as was to young to put out with the girls. He's 4-5 months old now and we'd been introducing him by letting him out around the pen so the girls could see him. If we had him out and the girls out, once the Leghorns caught site of him it was in for the "kill", did'nt matter that I was holding him! He's started crowing now, and it's sooo cute! So we put in the other night with the girls hours after they'd gone to bed. I stood out there to lisiten and there was quite a bit of shuffling around. He was found in the nesting box in the morning so scared to come out. Daughter brought him back insided and he crawled up on his roost and went right to sleep for the rest of the day! Other day decided to bring in top hen and put him back out. He'd only eat when they all cleared out coop and husband said he did see him come out for water but then ended up in the corner the rest of the day. Attacked if moved out. So this morning they switched out top hen for #2 and brougth her in. One night in was not enough to matter to #1. When hens cleared coop Rooster went to eat, and as soon as she'd hear him..back she went cornered him in nest box and kept wacking him. when she'd leave, he'd come right back out to eat, but soon as she'd hear him...back she came. I intervined and blocked doorway so he could eat then let him out to free range while they were still locked up...she knocked out my blockage and they all came running out. He can be 15ft from em, but if he scratches and finds anything..she's right there letting him know who's boss! Can't get to the water, so been handwatering him. How long till they accept him? Wanted a second coop and pen for him and evenutally chicks, just no time right now. I hate to bring back insdie, but worried he's getting hurt. He has no fear of taking on Dog in the house or out, or house cats, just hens! Anything else we can do?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    He is young still.When roosters are young like that,they get bullied.Just wait.And another 3 weeks or so he'll show them who the boss is.

Just make sure that they stop bullying him so bad.You can keep him in a kennel,you can have him seperated in parts of the coop.

3. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    Thank you. He got a bad peck to his comb and have brought him in to clean up too now. Definitely gotta keep him separated for a while now.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He'll still likely get his butt kicked in a few weeks.
    He may be sexually mature, but he's still inexperienced....and those hens will let him know it.

Keeping him within sight of hens but not able to physically interact, separated by wire and alternating range times,
    would be the best bet then just keep trying to let them be together on occasion until they figure it out how to get along without bloodshed.

5. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    Update:
    Took him out to the coop this morning, as he was insisting it was time to go outside. I set him in the pen and then opened the coop door to let the girls out. He had no problem putting them in their places. He is still crowing out there non stop, and I am just glad we live in the country where no one can hear him too terribly loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by