Introducing New Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RooLove, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RooLove

RooLove New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi all!
    I am new to BYC, but have been visiting with all my questions since I began raising chickens this spring. I LOVE these animals. I want to make it a peaceful home for all of us as a family in my backyard. I have 16 baby hens, 1 new rooster, 1 cat, and a 3-year-old son, and a 5-year-old daughter. I also have a loving husband who is less than loving of the chickens.[​IMG]
    I have 16 baby chicks (1 week old) I just bought a 2-year-old Silver Phoenix Rooster. I plan on keeping the chicks in the coop within a smaller cage, so they can see but not touch each other for about a month. Any thoughts on this process from the experienced?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have five 9 week olds and six 4 weeks olds but have not started the process of putting them together.
    So unfortunately I can't answer your question but wanted to offer you a

[​IMG] from Pennsylvania!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    [​IMG] Welcome

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have 16 baby chicks (1 week old) I just bought a 2-year-old Silver Phoenix Rooster. I plan on keeping the chicks in the coop within a smaller cage, so they can see but not touch each other for about a month. Any thoughts on this process from the experienced?

Welcome to BYC!

If I understood your post, you plan to put a 2 yr old rooster in with a bunch of small chicks? Um, you may have a long time to wait before you'll be putting the rooster with the chicks. Not all roosters are good with babies. I'm not at all sure how that's going to work for you.​

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yeah what she said. You may be making for trouble. The chicks will not be able to defend themselves against a mature roo if be decides he does not like them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Janie1972

Janie1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Welcome from Michigan! I love my chickens, my husband now calls me crazy chicken lady. Oh well, I don't care [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by