Introducing new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brokenspoke, Jul 9, 2011.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke Out Of The Brooder

I have one lonley hen and I am about to introduce 2 new hens and a rooster. What is the best way to introduce them to each other?

2. crazychicken5150

crazychicken5150 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    are you getting the 2 hens and the roo from the same place? I'm no expert by any meens but i would say if the new trio you are going to introduce have been together already, than either pen them or your one hen up in your and just let them get used to each other that and just take it slow. Remember 2 gurrantine for 30 days first

3. brokenspoke

I have a small coop and pen for a rooster and hen that I had recently aquired. The rooster was killed by a fox and so I am getting a new rooster and an additional hen from the same place that the origianal hen came from. Until 2 weeks ago these birds would have been together. I am unsure as to how to introduce them slowly as I do not have the room to have them housed separetly. I had intended for these birds to be free range and the pen is just till they get used to the area. Would it be a mistake to introduce them too quickly?

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would not worry so much about the quarantine issue.

I would worry about the uneven numbers, I think, if you can, to try introducing one hen to the original hen by adding her to the coop at night, afte all have gone to sleep, hopefully they will become friends, and then introduce the others at night. It would mean leaving the some of the new ones where they are now, for say a week.

Chickens do flock together, and dislike a change. A single hen, even in her own territory, will have problems of everyone else attacking her. However, a pair, will do much better. Then add the other 3 at night.

MrsK

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Another point, I would get two hens, not a hen and a rooster. One rooster for 2 hens is really too much. And unless you are trying to raise them to breed, unnecessary.

6. brokenspoke

Mrs. K :

Another point, I would get two hens, not a hen and a rooster. One rooster for 2 hens is really too much. And unless you are trying to raise them to breed, unnecessary.

Ohh, I was not aware that there was an expected ratio of hen to rooster. It is the rooster that I really want and the hens are just an added bonus for me, there to keep him company mainly.

I introduced the new hen the first night and the rooster on the second night. Everything went very smoothly and they are getting along wonderfully. Both hens are laying! I suppose I need another hen, 3 to 1 is a better than 2 to 1 ? Ohh well, what's one more!....LOL

Thanks for the advice.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by