introducing new roosters?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hsm5grls, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    We will be getting new roosters later this week. ( partridge rocks) They are around 6 mths. old and have lived together since they were babies. I have 12 hens that are 3 mths. old. What is the best way to introduce them all. Is it the same as introducing hens to each other? What is the best way to do it so everyone involved has the easiest as possible transition? I really want to do this right so No one is injured. Also what are the chances the roosters will still get along when there are now hens involved? They will each have there own girls and coops but will still have access to each other while playing in the yard, is that o.k.?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The two roos I have with my hens right now were "litter mates" and still seem to get along even after they went in with the girls. I suppose it could change as they age...they're about 8 or 9 months old now. One is definately the boss, but I don't see them fighting .

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    You are going to want to place them in an area where they can see the hens, but cannot get to them. That way the hens and the roos get used to eachothers company. Then you are going to want to slowly introduce them to the flock, for short periods of supervised time. How many roosters?? If they will have their own flocks, and are only together while free ranging, they should be fine. I have 5 roosters now,a nd dont have any problems, and mine all live together with 17 hens. But this spring i will be increasing te number of hens, just to make sure the peace is kept! Good luck![​IMG]

4. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to double check. I really want this to go well.

5. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Built new run next to the hens so everyone can get to know each other. [​IMG] I hope everyone gets along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by