Introducing new sub-flock with an auto opener

jwsmith1959

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
Orchard, Texas
I have had mixed results with introducing a new (or more) pullets to an existing flock.

My current flock got culled by 2 in the last month. One just disappeared and the other was found murdered (and mangled) fairly close to my front door a few day ago.

I put in an auto opener/closer back in January and it has been lovely. Neither of the killings can be attributed to it. Since I am down a couple, I was wondering about how to introduce a couple of new girls into the flock The local feed store sells out so quick and the birds they are getting are around 14 weeks old. My current flock is between 48-52 weeks.

In the past, I just locked everyone up in the coop and dealt with it, but I feel that my free-range girls get the shot end so to speak and the older girls tend to bully the newbies too.

Any suggestions? I have posted before....but I have a nice large, well ventilated coop.

Thanks in advance.

5 chickens.jpg

Let the old girls out, lock the new girls in the coop and run. This lets them explore things without being chased and harassed for their lives. It allows them to gain some territory rights. Feed along the fence line. That night, put the young girls in a temporary box, a dog crate again works well, and put that in the coop. Let the layers into the set up as close to possible to dark.

Rinse repeat -

Third night, just let the layers in again, pretty close to dark, the urge to fight about equals the urge to roost, with roosting winning out. I would expect the old girls to roost, and the young ones to sneak in a bit later - do check to make sure they make it. Do make sure that door will open at daylight.

Set up a covered nest - a small dog crate works well near the gate they would come in to lay in for the layers.

This has worked well for me, but I do have multiple feed stations, hidden so that birds eating at one, can't see birds at another one. I have a lot of clutter in my coop.

I echo the advice above - 2-3 birds are much easier than just 1-2.

Mrs K

Let the old girls out, lock the new girls in the coop and run. This lets them explore things without being chased and harassed for their lives. It allows them to gain some territory rights. Feed along the fence line. That night, put the young girls in a temporary box, a dog crate again works well, and put that in the coop. Let the layers into the set up as close to possible to dark.

Rinse repeat -

Third night, just let the layers in again, pretty close to dark, the urge to fight about equals the urge to roost, with roosting winning out. I would expect the old girls to roost, and the young ones to sneak in a bit later - do check to make sure they make it. Do make sure that door will open at daylight.

Set up a covered nest - a small dog crate works well near the gate they would come in to lay in for the layers.

This has worked well for me, but I do have multiple feed stations, hidden so that birds eating at one, can't see birds at another one. I have a lot of clutter in my coop.

I echo the advice above - 2-3 birds are much easier than just 1-2.

Mrs K
Can I see your setup? I'm getting ready to do this. My separate flocks are ready to be integrated into each other. One flock around 19 weeks old and the main flock over a year. And one of the new flock is a Cockerel. They've been free ranging together for weeks now.
Thanks.

One flock around 19 weeks old and the main flock over a year. And one of the new flock is a Cockerel. They've been free ranging together for weeks now.
Thanks.
When I was talking about putting them in a dog crate, I was thinking a much greater size difference.

If yours are free ranging, just letting the young birds in the coop/run during the day will be enough. Leave them there for a couple of hours, then let them out to free range with the others. Without doing much, I would expect the younger birds to just follow the older birds into the coop after a while. A few may do it at first, after a while more will do it, and then just lock up the other coop.

When I was talking about putting them in a dog crate, I was thinking a much greater size difference.

If yours are free ranging, just letting the young birds in the coop/run during the day will be enough. Leave them there for a couple of hours, then let them out to free range with the others. Without doing much, I would expect the younger birds to just follow the older birds into the coop after a while. A few may do it at first, after a while more will do it, and then just lock up the other coop
Thanks, I'll give this a shot. A bit nervous but it has to be done.

If yours are free ranging, just letting the young birds in the coop/run during the day will be enough. Leave them there for a couple of hours, then let them out to free range with the others. Without doing much, I would expect the younger birds to just follow the older birds into the coop after a while. A few may do it at first, after a while more will do it, and then just lock up the other coop.

Mrs. K, it worked! I'm very pleased with your instruction. The girls are living together fine. Not going in the coop yet as they slept on top of theirs but I'm hopeful that they will eventually get the hang of it.
So, A BIG Thank you for your input.

Back
Top Bottom