1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing new younger birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by USMCorps782, May 17, 2009.

1. USMCorps782

USMCorps782 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Lynchburg,VA
    I read a couple of the posts including the link associated with introducing new chickens to a flock. My question is: would it help if I introduced equal or more new birds to existing ones? i.e.; 2 new to 2 existing or 3 new to 2 existing. I have two hens and I put a younger one in with them. They are ganging up together and beating the stew out of her. I will get another one or two if it will even the fight.Thanks

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I do not know if it will stop it if they are targeting one, but it might be worth a try, for a distraction. They 2 new ones will still have to get used to each other, even if both are new to the group. You might try removing the top hen for a few days which will shake up the pecking order and knock the leader down a few pegs in the rank. Maybe someone will have a better answer...

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Catray's approach is sure worth a try. Never really know how these things will go.

4. USMCorps782

USMCorps782 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Lynchburg,VA
    I thought about taking the top hen out of the picture for a while. She is a Barred Rock and a friend of mine has a BR rooster. So maybe a little date and distraction for her will be good for the new one. Thanks for your ideas.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with the others about removing the instigator for a few days. I have not done it myself, but I have seen posts on here that introducing groups instead of individuals helps, so your original thought is also good. Butlike Ddawn said, you never know how these things will go.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There is going to be some chasing and pecking. As long as it doesn't get too aggressive. They are just establishing their pecking order. If it does get very aggressive I would try removing the one who instigates the others pecking. I had two hens that were bad so I put them in chicken jail for awhile. Also when I caught them in this behavior, I had a hose handy and gave them a good forceful squirt with the hose which took them totally by surprised. Their behavior changed after a few squirts with the hose.

Last edited: May 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by