Introducing Newbies to the Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DillardHome, Jun 19, 2010.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Hello Everyone! [​IMG]

I know I should know this answer but I think I am needing reassurance. [​IMG] I have a current flock of nine hens and had gotten five EE's about 13 weeks ago. During the 13 weeks I had briefly introduced the EE's to the flock via a dog cage in the coop, when I did let the EE's out they seemed to be relentlessly picked on so I decided to wait until they were bigger before trying again. So I had kept them in a separate pen. Now at 13 weeks of age I am wanting to reintroduce them. I built a temporary divider in the current flocks coop made out of chicken wire and put the EE's in it. I figured at least they would get used to seeing each other and when I combined them it wouldn't be as bad. I kept them in the divided section for 2 1/2 days. Today, I took the EE's out of their side and put them into the flock's side. I stayed in there for a bit to see how things would go, they are still getting picked on and I have two BCM/BA mixes that seem to make a point to go after them. The EE's seem so scared and I don't want them all stressed out. I must say these EE's are so people friendly and love to be pet.

I know chickens establish a pecking order, any advice on how much pecking is to be expected? Obviously if I see any type of injury inflicted I will remove them.
    It's not like this is my first time introducing new chickens to my flock but this time seems different, meaning some of the hens in the flock seem to be constantly going after the new ones, and I'm concerned that the EE's will have not have a moment of peace today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    maybe you should go in there with some treats and distract them all, they'll bond over the joy of snacks.

I just introduced a new girl this AM, and my one big Americauna is chasing her all around but its more like herding, not so much aggressive pecking.

I started poking the meanie, Eunice, with a stick when she would peck the new girl (lightly of course) and she was like, what the heck! Just trying to establish that maybe I"M the dominant girl in the coop to take her down a few. I read about this somewhere and it seemed to work, after a couple pokes she would let the new one walk right by her with no problem. She was chasing a little later so it looks like I'll be spending my weekend poking poor Eunice and being top chick! [​IMG]

My new girl is also soooo sweet but she's got to live with these other chickens so they need to work it out amongst themselves. It is traumatic but its good youre doing this before they're laying so you wont' have any egg interruption! [​IMG]

Its most important to make sure there's enough water in the coop so the new girls can get to some.

Id expect chasing and a little pecking and stuff to go on for a little while but as long as there's no blood, I'd just let them figure it out.

3. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Quote:Thanks Yolanda! I actually grabbed one of the "not being nice" hens, held her down (gently) and she squatted down and instantly became submissive as if she realized I am the head chick here - just like you [​IMG] I have been checking on them every hour just be sure noone sustained any injuries. Your right, they will work it out I sometimes tend to be a worry wart when it comes to my pets.
    Thanks again for your reply [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by