1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing old to new. Stupid pecking order!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CinnamonQueen12, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ok, so I have 6 around-a-year-old chickens, and we are trying to add 5 new ones into the flock. We have them in 2 separate coops and pens, but on occasion we let them all roam the yard to gether. The new ones are about 9 and 11 weeks old (have 2 different ages, long story) and the old ones chase the new ones all around the yard, and even when I bring over the nicest old chicken, all the new ones run in terror. Now, to add to the confusion: I hatched 3 chicks around the end of June, and they are 7 weeks old. 1 hen (has deformed leg), and 2 roosters, as far as I can tell. Since the hen is deformed, we were planning on keeping her since I can't think of too many places that would take her and help her live a happy life. Anyway, the 9 and 11 week old chickens were mean to the 7 week old chickens and the year old chickens were mean to all of them. How can I make the pecking stop? I feel so bad, feeling the 7 week old hen tremble in my hands when a year old chicken just walks by. What can I do?

Also, just a little question: Our coop is a 4x6, an I know that you want to give each chicken at least 3-4 feet of floor space. We already have 6 chickens in there, and we are planning on adding the 5 9-11 week olds to make 11, and then, to further squish our chickens, we were going to add the deformed hen. Our pen is huge, though. At least 4 or 5 times bigger than the coop, so they have planty of room to get away from each other when they are outside. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks that this is pushing it alittle too much?

And one more question, I'm really sorry! The three chicks that I hatched are very fond of each other. Since we don't want any roosters, and can't fit any more hens in the coop, we were going to get rid of the 2 that I believe are roosters, and just keep the one with the deformed leg. Unfortunately, whenever I take her little friends away, she cries and cries for them, since she has no other friends. What can I do? She is the youngest chick and I know we can make her life easier, but she will be all alone and sad, not to mention at the bottom of the pecking order. Can anyone give some suggestions on how to make her more friendly with the other chicks?

Thanks for putting up with my crazy and extremely confusing questions. I'm going to go rest my poor fingers now, [​IMG] so no more questions for a while, I promise! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    And one more question: can I give corn to the 7 week old chicks? I know that the adults love it, and we are going to give it to the 9 and 11 week olds for the first time to try, but can I give some to the babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by