Introducing Older Chick to Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickeneer45, Aug 27, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I have a five week old silkie chick that has been living alone in the brooder for a week and I have a broody hen. Three chicks hatched today, and I was wondering if I could try integrating him in with the other chicks... What are people's opinions on this? I am not so much worried about him being rejected by the mother, but of him being a bully to the little baby chicks that he is around... Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You won't know how it will go unless you try it -- so I would supervise, which is a bit tricky because it's best to put new chicks under a broody at night.

3. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    x2 I gave 3 additional chicks to a broody who had 2 which were one week old and she did fine. Because of the advisability of supervision I did it in the evening while there was still some light and she accepted them so well I just left them with her for the night. If you do it after she's asleep be sure to check on them early in the morning in case there is a problem.

4. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    I'm sorry, I should have said the broody's chicks were new and the chicks I added were one week older. [​IMG]

5. Dawns Funy Farm

Dawns Funy Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    a five week old chick? i really dont think she will accept it . i think she will more likely attack it to keep it away from her new hatched chicks . maybe a pen next to each other so it feels close to the flock and the babies get a little older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by