Introducing Older Silkie To My 4 Week Olds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austincoopersilkiesies, Jul 13, 2011.

1. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Would It Be Ok To Maybe Introduce An Older Silkie To My 4 Week Olds For Some Better Bloodlines Can Be Added In?[​IMG]

2. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    PLEASE HELP!?!?!?!?![​IMG]

3. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Please Guys I Need Some Show Lines Added In To My Flock!!

4. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Guys PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Guys Please!!!!![​IMG]

5. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    If I understand what you're asking, you want to know if you can buy an older Silkie than 4 wks, maybe a year or older, and put it in with your 4 wk olds. You aren't real specific about what you're actually wanting to do. If you want to buy a new Silkie and throw it into the pen with your 4 wk olds immediately, I would be reluctant to do that. There's a possibility the older bird will harm the youngsters, and the youngster will likely be afraid of the older bird. The best way is to introduce them to each other over a period of weeks with wire between them. I am basing my answer on other breeds of chickens. Silkies may be mellow enough you may not need much introduction, but I would error on the side of caution.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

So what you want to know is can you add an adult silkie in with your 4 week olds? I would wait till the 4 week olds are about 12 - 16 weeks (3-4 months) so they can defend themselves against the adult silkie. No issue adding them together - just the size difference right now, the older one may peck and beat the snot out of the little ones and being 4 weeks, could get seriously injured.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Thanks Guys My Silkies Are From Hatchery Stock So I Want To Add Some Show Worthy Stock In There For Breeding!

8. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    How old is the other silkie?
    If you do try it just make sure you keep an eye on them and see how the interact. I don't have any trouble introducing juveniles to younger birds but wouldn't think of putting them in with my older birds.Silkies are pretty good but depending on the bird just watch them closely. [​IMG]

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

theres no issue with adding bloodlines. However what is your aim in the breeding? to get show quality birds in a generation or two? If so - do not use hatchery birds. They tend to have long backs, little crests, lighter skin tone, and alot carry the 4 toe gene. the 4 toe gene can be hard to get rid of and breed out - takes many many generations. you'd be better off keeping the hatchery as pets and starting a second pen with birds from established lines/breeders to work on show birds for yourself.

if you are determined to use your hatchery/pet birds thats fine - but be warned it can take 3-6 generations before you could get out some of the bad traits that are common in most US hatchery stock. Getting pet quality from a breeder is a good idea - those birds carry good genes, they just dont make the cut for something - and can add alot of good qualities.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Yea That Is What I Plan To Do But Still Want Pet Quality Birds From Those Extremley Fancy Birds By Breeding To The Pet Birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by