Introducing Peggy ..my crippled duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suseekilbanks, Jan 5, 2015.

1. suseekilbanks

suseekilbanks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Hello..Not sure if I have posted correctly..but my Peggy had subloxated kneecaps at birth and her feet are totally curled..She has 3 litter mates outdoors but because of her deformity she had to come inside as she is not as feathered as the rest and walks on her hocks..She can swim albeit in circles, sometimes..but otherwise she is a healthy, wonderful smaller duck..but amazing..She is not aware of her deformity that i can tell...because she tries to do it all and tries again....
    She lives in my living room in a dry kiddie pool with Puppy pads and so far so good........Never thought I would have a crippled duck in my living room...but there was no other choice......
    a Pekin duck owner has to do what a Pekin duck owner has to do...right?? :)
    Thanks
    Susee and Peggy......

2 people like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Seems you have posted just fine! If you have any photo's you want to upload, we love to ooh and ahhh over ducks!

Some members have made special chairs for their ducks. You may be able to make her a small walker.

3. suseekilbanks

Jan 4, 2015
    Hi There...Thanks for the welcoming..
    I would love to see other handicapped ducks and what their owners have done......Peggy could use some outriggers for balance..But she hobbles along very well....Her legs are healing so beautifull where there was once reddened almost blackened hocks..This duck is so cool..I can't believe I have a Pekin duck in my living room and her personality is wonderful.....funny how things go.....
    who knew????/
    :)

I will post pictures when i get some time......

This is going to be wonderful!!
    Thanks

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC, andreacoyle has a handicapped goose you might want to PM her and see what she has made for her goose she keeps inside. also you tube has lots of info type in handicap duck .Peggy sounds like she has a wonderful friend in you.

5. withanH77

withanH77 New Egg

May 17, 2015
    IL
    I also have a crippled Pekin. It seems from my research that he has Perosis or slipped tendon. He came from a feed store and he looked fine along with his 2 siblings, slowly he stopped walking. We tried vitamins and niacin to no avail. Now he spends his days in a mobile cage with some baby chicks for company and nights in with us. He is very affectionate and loves to be held. When the chicks get too big, we plan on letting him have a new batch of young ones for company. He seems to like them, and they give him some avian company. It's hard to find any info on keeping crippled ducks, so I am pleased to see there are others as crazy as myself. :)

6. localife

localife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    I have a hock walking Welch Harlequin, also smaller than her siblings. I opted to keep her with the rest of the flock, but separated by wire walls so they can all see and touch each other, but she can't get picked on or trampled (as happens when she isn't protected). Her name is Swimmy, though today we started calling her Motor Boat because she can jet around in the water like nobody's business! My hope for her is that, once she is fully feathered out (at 10 weeks she is still half the size of everyone else and not fully feathered) I can create a special habitat for her in which she can spend most of time on the water but get out when she needs to. I am going to look at the walker idea, too -- I would love to see her able to get around more easily...

Thanks for posting -- always a pleasure to know we are not alone when we take on the extra work of the special needs creatures!

7. suseekilbanks

Jan 4, 2015
    How cool to find out there are other crippled parents out there! Lol
    My Pekin "Peggy" has subluxated knee caps....from birth...I picked her out from the bin of baby pekins bc she was the smallest and her feet turned in..thinking it was spay leg (spraddle) and I could remedy that..BUT..instead I got the cutest little crippled sweetheart that lives in a kiddie pool in a dog bed in my living room.( yes that is correct ladies and gentleman in my living room) and she loves it and my 2 little dogs..lol.I have the other 3 Pekins I bought that are healthy and happy in a pen outside and she can talk to them and I take her and her kiddie pool arrangement down to them so they quack and talk all day..Love having her!!! The best!!!
    I live on the river, so many mallards come up to visit and my 8 year old neighbor asked me if I was a DUCKOLOGIST?? lol

8. localife

localife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    No need to qualify the duckling in the living room around here! I've had ducklings in my kitchen, chickens in the bathroom, and goats in my bedroom and living room as the need arose! She's lucky to have you looking after her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by