introducing Pullets to a Group of Similar Age/size Pullets

Denwendairy

Chirping
5 Years
May 31, 2014
Alberta Canada
I've done alot of reading about introducing new pullets to a flock of hens but I have some questions about pullets being introduced to pullets of similar size/ age.
We bought 9 day-olds about 6 weeks ago. ( 6 BR, 1 Lt Sussex, 1 RIR and 1 Brown LH). Well, 4 of them were Roos and were re- homed this morning as we are aiming for a hen only flock. We are down to 4 BR and the Sussex. They're lovely!
We are going to pick up some 6 week old Buff Orpington pullets this evening. We are going to keep them separate in the coop ( will be able to see each other). We are looking at adding 5 of the Orpingtons.
Are there any differences in introducing similar age/ size pullets to each other than introducing pullets to hens? Is it easier? I've read alot of the great advice on BYC but would love your insight on this particular situation.
thanks!

I kept them apart while I evaluated the health of the new birds, are they eating, drinking and pooping normally. About 24 - 48 hours. Then I put them together. They tend to do a bit of pecking, but nothing serious.

That makes sense. Perhaps I will do the same. If they seem to be reacting well to each other after a few days, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks KendyF!

NP, Good luck! :) Every chicken you get, just makes you want to get more! :) Oh wait, that is me.

Back
Top Bottom