Introducing pullets to established flock with rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zigmont, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    At 11 weeks, it's time Buffy and Ogee are out of my garage. Each time we have put them out, all but Henny have attacked. She pecked a few times, but nothing serious. The last EE I had was bullied and ended up being eaten by a hawk. That is why I got the new ones. We have three hens and a rooster, all about 7/8 months old. We have penned them in adjacent areas, put the babies in the coop when the big ones are out and free ranged together without them even looking at them. Last night we put them up in the roost after dark. Not a peep u til this morning, but Calpernia attacked. Now they are separate. How long will it take? Are they too young? ArWill Ziggy kill them? Are EEs commonly bullied?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02766.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02850.jpg

2. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Are they all EE's? Can you free range them all, under supervision of course? What I have done once was
    free range my flock that wasn't getting along and the more dominant ones would get tired of chasing the weaker ones around. Soon they got so used to each other and pecking order was well established and
    they didn't mind each other that much. It takes a little time. If you always keep them seperated they will
    always be strangers to each other. Just my opinion.
    good luck,

3. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I see the first pic is not EE's right?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are a little young for introduction to the larger birds. Try a gradual introduction. Add Henny to their pen and see how that goes. A couple of DAYS later add the next least aggressive hen. Continue the process over a period of time until the flocks have been merged. Good luck.

5. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    I have had Henny in with them and she was ok, but it was a short time. We have a few days off to supervise. Only the new ones are EEs. The others are two RIRs and two Dominiques. The rooster is a Dominique. So far, he is ok, but I hear they get very aggressive at about a year old. Is that true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by