Introducing pullets to flock

Valley chick

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Northern California
Hi I'm hoping for advice a couple of my older girls have sadly passed on, I currently have barred rock,barnevelder,Orpington, couple of wild Banties, 7 mo bossy silky rooster, I'm trying to put docile personality in as I replace flock the banty is a little to flighty for me , ( my 5 year old helps) so I have the option of ordering a few in Spring ,or I have just been given opportunity to possibly get from a private party that has a small backyard flock that was born in Spring, of 5 month old Wheaton Ameracunas, or 5 mo Easter Egger pullets, or 1 of each,when I've introduced in past I put wire kennel in chicken run for a few weeks to get used to everyone, I'm considering this because they come from private owner with only a few chickens so chance of sickness low, and they have been well taken care of. It's always hard to introduce newbies for chickens being so cute,they sure can sure be mean ! Any advice would be appreciated! Do I go get the pullets or do I raise a few chicks ,which would introduce easier and fit in well with my flock half of my girls are 4 + years old but little Mr bossy is running the show, I had been assured he was a she 😕 but he is such a nice little silky he lets my son carry him still and the girls are bigger that he helps keep any disagreements to a minimum so we've kept him. Thank you for any information on the Wheaton and EE temperament to fit in, all of our chickens are pets and are handled daily (yes all of them get picked up and tucked in every night)

Ok, I've seen a lot of BYC people doing the kennel like you're said and have had good results. I have never tried that. At 3-4 months old is when I start throwing in my pullets. (4 months old would probably be better than 3.) I sneak them in either at night or while everyone is free-ranging. Then I give them about two weeks to get settled in. Sometimes when you have a harsh pecking order the newbies will try to hide all the time. This is not good for them to do because they won't get settled in and if they still do, it will take longer. So try to get them out with the flock. A big spacey run circling the whole coop is really good because the pecking order is not so harsh. The birds can get away from each while figuring out the pecking order in a nicer way. Either way, always give your newbies a two-week time to get settled in. I don't know if any of this that I've said will work for you or if you want to try what I said that I do with my newbies, but I hope it helps. :)

It's up to you. I enjoy getting chicks for many reasons, but some people would prefer getting ready to lay pullets. So I would say that it is up to you. How these sound like they're "pets" I would suggest chicks to help better the "pet quality" of them. With the pullets, they might not be so "people friendly" and might even be a bit skiddish at first. If you choose to go with chicks and do the wire cage, I suggest that you don't do that until they are at least three months old almost four, still. How you said that your hens are four years old and the fact that you have a rooster, they might move in quite smoothly.

I would do both! haha Chicken enabler. I would add the point of lay pullets. You might need chicks in the spring too, depending on how the winter goes.

If you do add the older pullets, a trick that helps a great deal, do it on a day you are home, but lock your current flock outside the coop/run, let the new girls be in the coop/run so that they can explore it a bit, without being chased. Do set up hideouts, hidden feed bowls and you should be good.

Mrs K

Yes I was actually thinking the same thing, my husband just doesn't know that yet 😀 he thinks it will mean we don't have to have chicks in the bathroom if I go this weekend. I like your idea ,I'm sure I maybe trying it soon.

Back
Top Bottom