introducing roosters and hens

CarolMinnesota

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
I am sorry. I already asked this question in the middle of another thread, but now I cannot find which thread. So I have not read anyone's answers and must ask again.

I separated out my 11 hens from the 50+ roosters when they were 16 weeks old (now all are over 6 months old). I now have two roosters that I would like to reintroduce to the hens and have them all live together.

What is the best method to do this? I cannot let them free range. Should I put all the hens in my 16'X42' enclosed pen and then put in the two roosters?

Other ideas?

Thanks much for your help!

Carol in Minnesota

I introduced mine by free-ranging them together first. But since you can't do that, is there any way you can let them see each other? If they can see each other now, I would just go ahead and put them together. I don't think the hens will really mind that much.
You will have to watch for over-mating though. The roos will be a little over-excited at first.
wee.gif

I ended up just keeping the 1 that was the most gentle with the hens.

Yes, I would add the roosters to the flock of hens.... They should be fine and work out there pecking order. You might see a little fighting at first, just keep an eye on them for a little while before leaving them alone, just to make sure noone gets hurt !! Also if you dont mine me asking how did you end up with 50 rooster and what are you going to do with them, Thats A LOT of roosters !!

I ordered 25 mixed heavy males and 25 mixed fancies from McMurrays this spring, as well as the selected varieties of females. With the packing peanuts, we started with 68.

Since this was my first time raising chickens, I figured I was going to lose a lot of them, so I ordered lots (and I love the idea of all different kinds of chickens). We only lost 7 (1 runaway, 1 first week, 2 to thunderstorm trampling, 3 to unknown causes).

We picked out two of the nicest (that is, prettiest and friendliest, unfortunately not the biggest) roosters to keep as pets and slaughtered the rest.

We ended up with 175 pounds of chicken at a cost of about $2.50 per pound, not including the waterers and other reusable hard goods.

And it was really fun!! But it took up my entire summer.

Quote:
OMG !!! 175 pounds of chicken !! I just asked hubby what he would do with that many roosters and 175 pounds of chicken... he said eat chicken every night for about a year, LOL !!! Wow, I cant imagine what 50 roosters sounded like when the started crowing !! Must of been funny and yes I would imagine it took up most of your summer.

Depending on everyone's temperment, 2 roos may be 1 too many for only 11 hens. I think the ideal ratio is 1:10. However, some roos are more congenial than others, and wouldn't mind sharing a pen and 11 hens with another guy. They may all hang together nicely and share, or they may split up the girls among themselves (you gotta feel for the poor half hen that will result), or they may spend all their free time fighting for domination.

Whether you introduce them gradually or just throw them all in together, keep a close eye on them the first few days/weeks, to see how well they all shake down together. You may find yourself with a few extra pounds of chicken meat after this...

The two roos are good buddies right now, but that could change. I would have a hard time choosing between them. They both follow me around like puppy dogs when I let them out.

When we had all 50, the crowing contests were wonderful--many different tones and styles. But when I chimed in, they all stopped dead in their tracks and stared at me. Does that mean I won?

Carol in Minnesota

Quote:
LOL !!! Either you won or they were scared !! I do it once and a while with mine and they stop also. Weired huh ??

Back
Top Bottom