Introducing single chicken to flock!

billyb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Hellooo!! :D
I purchased a buff silkie and quarantined her. When I tried to introduce her to the flock my two rhode island reds beat her up. So I separate the silkie. With my new coop and loft cage I added her with two other bantams. They have been together for about a month or so now. The other day I let them all together and I heard load squawking!! I ran over and the rhode islands reds were beating her up, so my two bantams started to do the same but, to the rhode islands reds!! Does this mean the bantams excepted her to the flock? And is it safe now for all of them together now?sorry for rambling on but, any replies are much appreciated!!!

Could be the bantams were taking advantage of the RIRs being distracted by the silkie. It does sound as if the bantams have accepted her. Did the RIRs eventually leave the silkie alone? If the silkie found some peace, then I would say the worst is over.

Ok thanks. There all together in the coop right now. And the silkie is very scared but is sticking by the other bantams. And the bantams have really been pushing on the RIR's. so I think it's going to work out!!

Any time we introduce a new chicken (male or female) to an existing flock, that bird has to be worked into the pecking order. That's what is going on now. It will be settled in a few days and the Silkie will accept her place in the pecking order and everyone will be happy.

Ok. Now this may sound dumb, but I know chickens are clever. But my silkie since sorta out there. When I have all the chickens free ranging together she stands off and goes by herself. Even though the other two bantams will sometimes protect her. I Tried agin today with all of them together in the coop. And added and extra feeder and waterer. And usually she will wedge herself between a cinder block, or something. But she didn't when I checked on her. She stays closer to the corners though. And if the RIR's come close she gets super scared! I was thinking of getting another silkie for company of the same type for her? Could that help her? Thanks soo much!!!

Our lone silkie is exactly the same. The other three bantams wander round together and she is left behind and does her own thing. She also gets beat up a bit by the rooster and is very nervous (we've started referring to her as neurotic lol)

I'm thinking of adding another silkie. I'm really starting to think hat their just different enough personality wise not to quite fit in and to need a like friend. And ours is actually hatch mate to the other three.

Last edited:
I have the same problem i have had my new chicken around 2 weeks now and she still gets beat up by my 3 RIR and is really scared

Last edited:
She just wonders off. But she will stay by me, and follow me. So I had all five together last over night I went out to check and she was wedged in the corner not coming out till I calle her. So I let them all free range today! And she stuck by me. But when I put them away. I put her in the lift cage by herself. Theres plea Ty of food and water. And there a heat lamp, to keep warm. I just didn't want to put the other two bantams with her in the loft cage because they love te big coop and the first day in the big coop the one bantam laird in the best box. And she loves to perch so I left the two in the big coop with the RIR's wich is fine because te bantams are higher in pecking order then the RIR's, haha. But anyways, do you think she will be ok by herself?! Thanks soo much!!!

Ok thanks so much! Do you think eventually she will stop craming into small spaces? Will she still go out and eat and drink? And how long do you think it will be before they stop?

Back
Top Bottom