Introducing single roo chick to hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lauraindiana, Mar 6, 2013.

1. lauraindiana

lauraindiana New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I recently rescued a two four day old chicks from Rural King. One of them did not survive but the other is thriving. He is an ISA. Right now we handle him often and have a fuzzy stuffed animal in the brooder to keep him company. I have 8 hens that are a year old. What is a safe age to introduce a single young roo to a flock of 8 hens? I know he needs to have his feathers in but since he is by himself will this cause problems in the future? Should I let them all get to know each other behind a fence? Looking for suggestions.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Wait until they are the same size. If you put him with them too soon they will peck the snot out of him, maybe even kill him. It's really hard to integrate just one new bird into a small flock so even when he's bigger it's going to be tough on him. Get him out there as soon as he's old enough and feathered enough to go outside, but in his own pen alongside them if there's any way you can. Let them get used to seeing him around but fenced off from them so they can't attack. What I'd really, really recommend is getting a couple more chicks to raise with him and integrate the three or four of them at the same time. It makes it a lot easier when there's more then just one new bird.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. lauraindiana

lauraindiana New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. I got him a friend last night so hopefully it will be more smooth of a transition for them all. He is a much happier little guy today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by