Introducing Sunny, the free-ranging guinea pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's been roaming free for well over 6 weeks. We got Sunny as a replacement buddy for our other guinea pig, Debbie, after her buddy (April) passed away. I keep the guinea pigs in a large wire dog kennel in the yard during the summer and move them into the barn (with lots and lots of hay) during the winter. I've never had one escape before unless we didn't have the cage sitting flat, and I'm still not sure how Sunny escaped. In one of the pictures you can see the live trap I borrowed from a friend in my attempts to catch the little stinker. I got her once, but she escaped again. I have not been able to catch her with the trap since. I was told to wire the bait down or put it under the 'trigger'...either of which makes her leave the bait. If the bait is not secured she will steal it. I guess I need a bigger trap with a longer 'trigger'...one that she has to step on to steal the bait. [​IMG]

I'm considering fencing in around the camper in the picture, since that's where Sunny spends most of her time, and turning Debbie loose as well. Sunny is so much chunkier than Debbie, I think it might do Debbie some good!
    Occasionally we'll see Sunny near the cage where Debbie is, but it is impossible to catch her out in the open.

Here is Debbie (tri-colored), and April (brown and white). We got Sunny as a friend for Debbie after April passed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    What a little cutie! In the second pic she looks enormous!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Shes a smart little thing!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:She is enormous! That's one reason why I'm considering letting Debbie roam free [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by