Introducing three new hens to my one chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie54452002, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Carrie54452002

Carrie54452002 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi there,

I unfortunately had the displeasure of losing 4 chickens to what we suspect was Mareks a couple months ago. We only had one hen left so I waited to see what would happen, she was about 7 months at the time and I thought she might pass. Well she didn't, in fact she just started laying a week or so ago. We are extatic she survived but are worried she will freeze if left alone so we bought three more hens (that are around 2-3yrs old so hopefully resistant to Mareks) to keep her company. I am so worried that they will harass her. She is a bantam cochin and these girls are Ameracaunas. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the attitudes in the coop to a minimum or how to integrate them well?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    I would think it would go pretty well actually. The new 3 will be in a new environment and will not have a pecking order established so I wouldn't think there would be much pecking from their part

3. Carrie54452002

Carrie54452002 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping! I was just a little hesitant because of my one bantam and the other three being regular size.... thanks so much for your repsponse!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by