Introducing young chickens to older hens

tesncs

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 12, 2014
We have 3 hens that were our first chickens. They are now 2 years old. We got 8 day-old chicks this spring to help "refresh" our flock. My husband built a small "chicken tractor" for them to live in after they outgrew their brooder pen. They are now 3-4 months old and we have put them in with the old hens. I've not seen many direct confrontations. Nobody has been injured, but the youngsters are totally intimidated by the old girls and want to huddle together in a corner of the coop most of the time. I want them to stay outside because they make such a mess in the coop when they are in there so much. I've taken to shutting the coop door when I'm sure the hens have finished with their egg laying and making the youngsters stay outside. I've posted a picture of the typical reaction when one of the hens comes around to them. Is this just something I have to let them work out or do we need to put the youngsters back in the chicken tractor for a few weeks?

welcome-byc.gif
Yeah - it's tough to watch, but they will work it out - since you haven't seen any full on confrontations it would seem encouraging. Do you have areas in the run where they can hide away for a bit of quiet time? They do need to have a 'safe haven' to go to, perhaps a large box in a corner somewhere. You should also have a second watered and feed station if possible so that the 'littles' can eat/drink in peace. Hang in there,
thumbsup.gif

We have a very large run, so there is plenty of room for everyone to have their own space, but the young ones seem to have decided the coop is their safe haven. We have 2 pairs of waterers (is that a word?!!) and feeders. One set inside the coop and one set in the run. The idea of having a large box of some sort for them to hide in outside is something I have not thought of. I may try that.

The other problem I have is I think the youngsters need a different type of feed. The young hens have not developed combs or wattles yet and have not started laying. But, the older hens are on layer pellets. Someone said I could remove the layer pellets and just feed them all grower pellets or even chick feed for a while. Do you have any advice on that front?

Thanks so much for your response!

The photo is hilarious! Their reaction is completely normal, though. Don't worry, they'll work through it.

If you have a nice, large run, the chickens would be a lot more comfortable if you were to partition it into several compartments with perches and feeding stations scattered around. Chickens enjoy the variety of having different "rooms" to hang out in, and to get away from older, intimidating hens.

I introduced six new, youngsters last year, and they still all like to perch together away from the older members of the flock. Chickens are a lot like kids in a school yard, hanging around in cliques.

What your youngsters are doing is exhibiting a good, healthy respect for the elder hens. Since there are so many of the young ones and so few of the older hens, it won't take very long for them to gain the confidence to no longer be afraid. In chicken world, numbers carry a lot of influence where status in concerned. If it was the other way around, just three chicks to eight adults, there very well could be a serious problem.

And, yes, you shouldn't be feeding layer ration to the pullets until they lay their first eggs. Too much calcium isn't good at this stage of development. Just make sure oyster shell is available for the older girls.

Be aware that around a month prior to onset of laying, it's normal for them to spend a lot of time in the coop and nest boxes, "playing house". They're exploring where they'll be laying their future eggs so you do want them to discover the proper places so they'll lay there when they're ready.

When I add new hens into the mix, I just feed grower/finisher until they reach point of lay. It doesn't seem to affect the older hens, in fact, I think they enjoy the change! Some treats are ok - mealworms, strawberries etc. but not a steady diet of treats. Enjoy the 'teenage' antics - they are so funny
smile.png

I see this reaction every year as I introduce pullets to the existing flock.

Seems like clock work, pullets won't leave the coop till the third week.

I don't interfer.
At first the elders won't let them out of the coop.
By the third week, they work out the pecking order.

It's good the chicks outnumber the hens. It will make the transition easier since the hens won't be focused on just a couple chicks. They can't pick on all of them.

Something I did with my second feeder while transitioning mine was to put it inside the area in the coop I kept the little one's that has an opening big enough for the chicks but small enough the hens can't get in. Chick starter in that feeder and regular layer in the feeder the hens have. It worked fairly well since the hens didn't like the chicks in their feeder so the chicks would go to their own feeder.

Mine still squabble and occasionally a feather gets pulled but for the most part mine roost, eat, and do all the other chickeny things together. They have a relationship like "I don't like you but I guess you can hang out here."

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. There seems to be a truce of sorts and I think things are going to be fine. I went to the feed store and bought more chick starter/grower crumbles and am now feeding this to all of them. I hope I didn't do any damage to the youngsters for the few days they were eating the layer pellets. :-(

When I add new hens into the mix, I just feed grower/finisher until they reach point of lay. It doesn't seem to affect the older hens, in fact, I think they enjoy the change! Some treats are ok - mealworms, strawberries etc. but not a steady diet of treats. Enjoy the 'teenage' antics - they are so funny
smile.png
Are your hens still laying even thou they are on grower/finisher feed? I'm having a problem separating feed.

Back
Top Bottom