Introducing young chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redstar21, Apr 13, 2012.

1. redstar21

redstar21 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    I have 8 week old chicks that I would like to introduce to my 2 year old red star chickens what is the best way to do this ? I did put them in the coop but the red star chased them around and picked on them.what can I do ?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. redstar21

redstar21 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    will the 2 year old kill the new chicks? I have no other place to put them.

4. rockstar

rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Be sure to follow the link that was sent to you a few minutes ago. It is excellent advice. I have introduced new chicks into the flock using the methods described. It doesn't take much to give chickens a little shelter if the weather isn't too extreme. We have used a portable dog pen run with chicken wire underneath and straw in on top of the chicken wire and chicken wire on top. We put a tarp on top and down the side a bit to keep out the rain. We used an old wood handle through the dog pen wires for a roosting pole and another old wood garden handle through another spot to hold the water and the feed. The chickens were kept like this until they were of about 5 months old. The chickens had all been within viewing distance of the current flock and were about the same size when we mixed them. The mixing went well. No major squabbles.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. redstar21

redstar21 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    I will try this thank you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by