Introducing young chicks to older birds

Macamania

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Eva, Alabama
I been been having an issue lately with my young birds. Some of them have been having problems with their eyes. I've medicated the eyes with neosporin and they get better. I haven't had an issue for a while. Then I went to the brooder and noticed one had issues with both eyes. I treated the eyes and returned her to the group. No sooner than I sat her down, I saw another chick head toward the feeder. Then, BAM, one chick pecks her in the eye and the eye immediately closed. So I yanked the ole gal out and put her outside in a cage. I figured I would assimilate her owithin the older birds. A few hours before dark I let her out and the dummy decided to peck an older bird. Didn't turn out well for her. The older gal picked her one good time and that's about all it took to set her straight. I figured she had it coming and got what she deserved. I've been putting her in the coop at night and seperating her in the morning when I let them out to wander around the yard. I thought this morning that I would leave them in the run all day and see what happened. I watched them for a little bit and the youngster wasn't provoking any of them, but a few of the birds would follow her and get a few pecks in. So, I let them out and seperated them.

I'm wondering if I should continue to let them peck her, put her back in with the youngsters, or ring her neck. If I put her back with the youngsters and see one even blink I'm going to be ill.

They are 3 months old and are all going to be transitioned sooner or later. Any thoughts?

It sounds as if leaving her with the older birds is working. A 'few pecks now and then' as long as they are not drawing blood are nothing. Understand that she may be a tyrant once again when the rest of her hatchmates are added to the flock - keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom