1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing young hens to the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by heather454ss, Apr 14, 2011.

1. heather454ss

heather454ss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    MESA, AZ
    My lil hens are 6 weeks old and in a couple of weeks I would like to introduce them to the rest of the flock. What is the best way to do that? I have the young ones in a run outside so the roo and other hens can see them.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Do it on a day you can watch them. I would also do it close to dark.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    And be prepared to separate them again if they get too much heat from the big girls. It's better (and less traumatic to the owner) when they are closer in size to the adults and can get away or hide or not get too beaten up.

4. heather454ss

heather454ss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    MESA, AZ
    I am not so much worried about my hens. I am worried about my roo.

5. braddeeadams

braddeeadams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I put all of my chicks in a dog crate and put them in the pen with the older flock, I did this for a few days and then I let them run in the pen with the older ones supervised. There was a little bit of pecking which is normal nothing too serious..This worked for me...

6. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Maybe it depends on the rooster, but 3 times I have introduced new chickens and each time my Roo was the most welcoming every time. My BR and Black star were always the meanest. However. I have never introduced ones that young.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I was too the first time I bought more hens. My roosters turned out gentle to the new pair but the hens went crazy!

8. Shannon bo

Shannon bo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    How old can my new pullets be when they are introduced to older hens and roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by