Introducing younger chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by torontowolf, May 23, 2016.

1. torontowolf

torontowolf New Egg

May 23, 2016
    St.Albans
    Hi there. I have a question about introducing new chickens. We recently got two sister silkie/frizzle 11month old chickens- 2 weeks ago. We have now introduced 2 pure silkie sisters. Our smaller mix is fine with them but the one that's a big bigger is a bully. She chases the two silkies around pecking at them. They have been hiding in the coop- they are left alone hiding in the coop but have to access to food/water so I've placed extra food/water with them. The bigger one then kicks them out the coop to take that food and if she sees them by the other food charges at them pecking and chasing them. They have only been together a day and I'm wondering if this will calm down? They spent the night together in the same coop fine but I worry for my smaller silkies and if it's normal for new chickens to hide in the coop all day? First time chicken owners so everything is new.
    I unfortunately can't free range often as we have a fox in the evening and I can't catch them in the day to put them away- Hubby does this on weekends when he's home.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! What you're seeing here is the controversial "pecking order", with a "head girl" showing the newbies who the boss in the flock is. Not a pleasant experience, but part of the hobby and chicken life. All you can do is keep an eye on them and make sure the new ladies get to eat and drink enough, even if it means cooping up the bully head girl for a bit sometimes during the day. Also watch out for excessive bullying, injuries etc. If that happens, remove the bully girl from the flock for a day and see if that calms her down. They should hopefully settle down within a few days and learn to live in peace with each other though.

If you're interested, there is some more info on the topic here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens

Enjoy the site!

3. torontowolf

torontowolf New Egg

May 23, 2016
    St.Albans
    Ahh thank you. She seems to have laid off a bit now and they just stay and other sides of the run. Seems to kick off again when I go out-think that's because she assumes more food is coming and wants the little ones out the way. Hoping this will die down a bit as well.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sumi has given you some great advice and links and I'm sure that those will help you.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could try "pinless peepers" on the bully. Pinless peepers prevents the bird from seeing straight ahead, which throws their aim off. Also they are annoyed to be wearing them, so it shifts focus away from the other birds. Please check out the "pinless peepers" thread to learn more about them.

7. torontowolf

torontowolf New Egg

May 23, 2016
    St.Albans
    Great thanks- have ordered some pinkness peepers. It's only the one girl who constantly charges at them and they get scared and sit in the coop a lot. Poor things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by