Introducing younger chicks to older pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emchick, May 15, 2007.

1. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    I have two 8 week old pullets in a big coop and five 4 week old chicks in a smaller cage inside of the big coop. My question is; how long should I keep the younger birds separated? I was thinking after a week of seeing, smelling, & hearing the younger birds that the bigger birds will probably accept them. What do you think?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    A week is good. There might be some pecking, to get the order...but unless there is blood..excessive pecking, all should go well!

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I agree, and if there is excessive anything, you can always put them back in the cage for a little longer. I know when I introduced my bantams, I left them in for about 2 weeks, and just put the cage outside during the day while the others were free ranging. It all worked out very well for me. Good luck with yours.

4. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    How about chicks with year olds? When should they be introduced? I have them in the same coop with a wire mesh division for the last 1 1/2 weeks. The chicks are now 5-6 weeks old. What do people do about feed since they both eat different feed? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jamie

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I have a similar set up in my barn. I let them all free range together in the afternoon. but they have separate feeders in their pens. The one year olds get layer mash and the 2 month olds are getting an 18% chick grower. The broody and her baby are eating chick grower. I don't let them all sleep together yet though. I probably could though. They have been living next door to each other for about 3 weeks now. Just have to take out the divider.

6. Chickens-246

Chickens-246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    jamiebartlett, I have a similar situation. What I'm going to do as far as different feed, when it's time; Put a fence around the chick starter feeder with holes only large enough for the chicks to get in. My hens get layer pellets so I figure the chicks won't/can't eat it. The chicks are Silkies.

7. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Hmm, I wonder if the big girls wont try really hard to get the yummy stuff in the small pen. [​IMG]

Can the little ones get impacted crop from eating huge pellets?

When is it safe, for the little ones to run around with the big ones without getting mauled when I walk away? I have a couple bossy hens i'm worried about!! [​IMG] Of course they'll probably be the ones that get all motherly.... I wory so much!! I've had a difficult time this round with chicks... whew. The drama can end now!! :) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by