introducing....

Spring

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
When can I get my week old chicks introduced to my two adult chickens? Are they too young now? It on a HOT day bringing them outside.... on the grass... would that be something we could do??

It is usually best to introduce chicks to adults when they are about the same size. They are better able to get away from the older ones, plus are more resistant to adult diseases of which the adults may be carriers.

You can put the babies on the grass for a little bit if they are in a protected area (out of the direct sun) and the temperature is warm. Don't leave them by themselves though unless they are in a completely enclosed predator proof area. Temperatures can change, rain come up etc., so it is a good idea to not leave them out for very long.

Since they will be pecking at the grass, be sure there is some grit available. There are several posts in this section about the different types of grit.

I am glad you asked this question because I have two 3 month old chicks out in our coop and 2, 5 week old chicks that were in my garage. Well, the garage chicks flew out of their tub and have been pooping all over my garage for weeks. Between the poop and the extreme heat, I decided it was time to move the babies in with the teenagers. The babies just hide behind the nesting boxes terrified of the other chicks. I move them at night so they can get some sleep, drink, and eat in peace but I don't think it is working out very well.
idunno.gif

Do you have a place in the coop you can put the babies separate from the teenagers ? Give them a chance to see and know each other before throwing them in together.

Back
Top Bottom