1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BOs and Silkie, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BOs and Silkie

BOs and Silkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    NJ
    I have a pullet that has been divided for 1 week and i am ready to introduce her to my hens. Is there a special way to take the divider away. Should I hold the chick before i put her in with the hens? Or just remove the divider.

2. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    its best to introduce new birds to a flock at night time whilst they are all sleeping and also preferably on mutual territory. This helps alot! [​IMG]

3. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Yes I agree, it is good to introduce them somewhere neither are dominant over and if all of your birds seem to get along fine with your pullet than you should have no problems. I'd check on them a lot throughout the day just to be sure though.

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    another way yo can do it is take just one hen and confine her with the new one for a day or so then put them in with the others on neutral territory with plenty of room to run away from any hens that will bully her. this buddy system has worked for me.

also Welcome to byc BOs and Silkie, danniboi1990, and FriendlyFlyer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    im going to try that technique with my next newcomer [​IMG] thank you for the massive warm welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by