Introducing........!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kellyjo8437, Oct 22, 2011.

1. kellyjo8437

kellyjo8437 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    I would like to introduce to everyone my new trio.... I bought three Serema's from ruthless here on BYC. 2 are frizzles. They are adorable and have been keeping me company as I watch TV each night. So I must admit as crazy as it seems I am considering keeping these guys indoors... I breed parrots for hobby/second income and have done so for many eyars but chickens *ahem* well they stink [​IMG]
    So any other house chicken owners have any advise on odor control?
    I clean cages every day. I was planning on keeping them in a dog crate with a floor that seperates them from the poo, I have been reading about some folks using kitty litter in the poop tray for odor control.
    Let me know what everyone thinks.
    Oh and they will also have plenty of time outside as well. I have a chicken run safe from other animals, birds of prey etc they can run in during the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    My thoughts exactly [​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Use pine shavings... It'll take care of the smell, and super easy to clean up... If you get the super fine shavings, it even vacuums easy enough if it spills on the carpet.

super sweet

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    The only thing that would bother me about keeping them in is the dust when i sit and watch myne when they shake the amount of dust that comes off is unreal!

6. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    Quote:LOL Yeah they do enjoy rolling up in the dirt. I may end up putting them outside if I find them to be too messy, this is just a trial run.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i know what you should do to stop poo on the floor get them a diaper (nappie) you can actually buy them i just saw them on a link

8. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    Quote:I'm actually gonna be getting a couple of those. Someone here is making them for me [​IMG] But to me you cannot keep them in those 24/7. Some sort of "home" needs to be established.
    They will have a lot of occasions to leave the cage, but at night, when at work, when certain guests are around etc they need to have their own space.
    I actually have some diapers for my amazon parrot-- never used them for the chicken, but with the parrot I can say it is sooooooo much nicer to spend time with my beloved and not be covered in her poo !!
    She still doesn't like having them put on but at least they only take about 45-60 seconds to put on once you have gotten used to it, and once it's on she doesn't seem to mind, plus I can attach a leash for when we go outside to prevent a possible fly-away tragedy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by