1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducng a new hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SOchick, Sep 12, 2009.

1. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    So my 'maybe' rooster started crowing, and I found him a new home. At work, we have had a hen that has been hanging around the shelter for about a year and a half (we think she is about 2 years old), and they convinced me to take her home, because I had room for another, now that I don't have my rooster anymore. I did, because she seems to be a good layer (about 3 eggs a week until she went broody). Anyway, I introduced her to my other 3 girls (all about 6 or 7 months old) last night, and they are picking on her. She is a little smaller than they are, and so far, they have bloodied her comb. Should I just continue to keep an eye on them, and if it gets worse remove the new one for a while? Any other advice? BTW, They live in a chicken tractor, so the only way I could seperate them and them still see each other is to move the new one to a large dog crate and put it beside the tractor.

Thanks for any help!! [​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    If they pecked enough to draw blood I would separate them and let them see eachother somehow. After a while maybe introduce her to one or two of the 'lower ranking hens' with supervision and then try to integrate her (you may want to keep an eye on them first so they don't attack her)....There are some posts about introducing new birds o your flock, check them out. Also - many people recommend to quarantine any new chickens for 30 days... Some info may be in the FAQ section, don't remember exactly. Good you gave her a home, hope it will work out well

3. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    Agree with previous post regarding getting her out of there if she is bleeding and use your crate for a couple weeks, then perhaps put one "nice" hen in with her, and gradually introduce her. If there is any way you could do this in a larger area than your tractor (say, your yard if possible) , that would be ideal.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. [​IMG] What breed do you think your new friend is?

And yes, you are a good and brave person for adopting her! [​IMG]

4. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks guys, I will separate her in the morning. I am hoping to have a larger run done sometime this week, so that should give them some more room when I try again. I thought about the quarantine, but I have been watching her at work for the last year, so I figured that was good enough, hopefully I won't learn the hard way. I'm not sure what breed she is, she is gorgeous, I posted some pics of her in the what breed/gender section, here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242831

Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by