Introduction and Here's My Coop, I added more pics now. :-)

There A Chick

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Kelley, IA
Hello, I am one happy chick to have discovered this website. Actually some pony girls brought it up on ultimatedressage.com, that's how I found out about it. I live in IA and otherwise have horses, this is my first foray into fowl.

So, I've been learning alot. I copied a pattern posted here by rbarrett who thankfully posted alot of pics of his coop.

My boss basically did everything as I am totally clueless on building stuff, I mean, I've never done it before at all. Now I learned how to frame and how to roof! He has an air nailer.
smile.png

Here is my coop so far, but we now have the front on and almost have the storm door attached. I still have to trim it, paint it, cut the little chicken door, and build my run.

I'll take more pics this weekend too.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, seems like a very nice friendly board.

Last edited:
You coop looks great! So glad you found the site. I can't wait to see your continued progress on your coop and eventually pics of your chicks!! Welcome!
big_smile.png

Very nice!! I can't wait to see the finished product!!

Oh and welcome to the board!! Be careful though it's very addictive!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here's another pic of the coop further along:

We still have to finish putting the door hardware on, hence the ladder holding the door shut. I liked the clear panel that rbarret had on his so I copied that too. The windows open from the outside, I don't think that was intended but I think it will work good.

This shot is standing real close to the front and looking up. We added mesh to close the gap on the rafters so the sparrows can't fly in there. I need to do the same on the back side.

And, here's my peeps!
lol.png

27 Gold Star pullets which I will be splitting with a friend. I'm having fun watching them already. Cute little buggers.

Looks good!

My Delightful Dozen go back to the coop each evening like clock work, but I am glad they have an enclosed run for most of the day. In the late afternoon I let them out for an hour or 3 and they fill their crops and return to the coop at sunset or soon afterwards.

Best of luck, and BTW, your coop looks excellent!

What a lovely place for your chickens! Welcome and glad you are here! You are right, this is a friendly place, lots of help, encouragement, wisdom, and kind redirections when needed. I have yet to see any ugliness go on.

Back
Top Bottom