Introduction and question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by btaylor2003, Dec 8, 2012.

1. btaylor2003

btaylor2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Hello group!! My name is Bridgett and I have two dwarf female goats. They were bought about 4 months ago and the guys said he knew they were pregnant. So we have had them about four months and one day we think for sure they are pregnant and then like today we aren't sure? They have started to get pretty good bags on them and their nipples keep getting bigger and longer? Is there any way I can tell without taking them to the vet?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

If they are bagging up, they are pregnant, and most likely due pretty soon.

4. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

X2 if that bagging up, they are most likely going to kid soon, congratz! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Update with pictures when they kid.

6. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012

They are bagging and some days their sides look real round and huge, but we noticed yesterday they are still pretty big but their sides are lower and it looks as though thee sides are caved in? Some days they look real swollen behind and somedays like yesterday they don't? Then we bought a young female goat from my brother in law yesterday and we brought her home. The two we think might be pregnant started acting really odd with her. They sort of acted like a billy goat will act with one that's in heat? Is that normal behavior of pregnant goats?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012

If I posted some pictures of them now do you think you could help me decide?

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    A lot of animals go through what some have called a "starving dog stage" shortly before they deliver. The ligaments in the pelvic area loosen and soften, and the baby gets carried lower. Animals that are actually in fine weight can look really rough with hollow flanks and prominent spines. Late gestation does are very hormonal, so yeah, they can act pretty odd.[​IMG]

9. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012
    We went out yesterday and I had my husband hold them still and in felt of their stomachs and held them for a while. I felt movement, I am pretty sure. I go back and forth simply because of their looks. Also the fact that I have no idea what they looked like before they were suppose to be pregnant. I know we feed every day and try always have a mixture of hay and grain. I have read several different answers to things online, but maybe one of you can give me a better insight. Will they get milk in their bags before going into labor?

10. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    the only way u can know for sure that htey are pregnant are: a vet ultra sound if u really want to spend money, or : wait and see/ but 'trying to have hay and grain' is not the recipe to successful births. the last month is critical as they get very large, and may have twins, that they ALWAYS have hay (alfalfa/buckia or other semi rich legume hay + goat pellets for preggie goats. grain , well, u have to check the 'net for the proper mixture, but grain is tricky. when pregnant, like us women, as they get bigger, they eat smaller meals and more frequently/ howver, a lack of wanting to eat can also signal problems although some go off their feed prior to birthing/ although there are cases of false pregnancy, it doesnt happen in more then one goat at the same time, and most goats cycle and get bred at the same time and therefore the kidding happens all at once (and we mean. ALL AT ONCE) one birth tends to spur another... its the sync of the hormones among all the females in a herd... if the 'fatness' is mostly sort of more on one side only, chances are , its babies and not fat goat. fat goats are rotund all around, symetricallly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by