Introduction and request for suggestions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stuffeshead, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Stuffeshead

Stuffeshead New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    South Mississippi
    Hello BYCers,

While I've been lurking and reading the board for about six months, this is my first time posting a message. Let me begin by thanking everyone for the great participation that results in such wonderful information and advice on this board!

For many reasons, I will be getting a few birds in the summer after we relocate to our new location (and potentially building a new house). Because it will be summer, I'm thinking of getting 3 or 4 hens for egglaying this year (2009). If all goes well, and the family learns to share the responsibilities of the birds, we may try a run of 30-50 meat birds next year (2010) in a separate coop from the eggers.

I'll be free-ranging and night-cooping the egglayers I get this year. With only three or four in the mix, I plan to use a semi-temporary contraption for coop/run plans this year - maybe even a tractor. For next year, we'll construct a permanent habitation for them and for the meat birds, if that comes to pass.

For this year's egglaying birds, I'm thinking about BOs or similar mainstream variety for easy temperament and reliable production.

Considering my plans from this year to next, I'd love to hear any practical suggestions about how to be more efficient with the small laying flock this year and meat birds next year (or whenever it may or may not happen).

Thanks to all for the invaluable comments you regularly post on the board and for any help you might give me on this question!

Stuffeshead

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] from TN!

We started with a few birds and a tractor. They only had 'free play' when we were home from work.

Now that we have a permanent structure, it's kind of a relief. It's MUCH more secure and I think cleaning it out is easier than moving the tractor.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from southeast TN
    wegotchickens you stole my greeting. [​IMG]

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Welcome...

only suggestion...get more birds!

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Beatcha to it!!

Which is rare. You must live on the BYC newbie site....

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Beatcha to it!!

Which is rare. You must live on the BYC newbie site....

[​IMG] I have WAY to much time on my hands. [​IMG]

7. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    [​IMG] Welcome West TN. Tractor them for awhile and learn about your knew loction find out about any preditor problems.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have nothing especially pithy to say, but a) welcome to BYC and b) yours is one of the most sensible and well thought out plans I've seen laid out here this year [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

9. Stuffeshead

Stuffeshead New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    South Mississippi
    Quote:Thanks, Pat. The "well thought out" portion of my plans came from reading BYC message board posts for the last 6 months and brainstorming. That combined with my realization of the difficulties of relocating my family made me see reason and decide to postpone the meat bird plan until after we were settled.

Now, if I could only shake the desire to get a few of those "evil" silkies....

Stuffeshead

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    fight the silkies...they are bad...get OEGBs!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by