1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduction from Linda in Los Gatos, California (SF Bay Area)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LosGatosLinda, Apr 30, 2016.

1. LosGatosLinda

LosGatosLinda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    Hello!

My name is Linda - we live in Los Gatos and just started a new flock. They're about 8 weeks old and have been outside for about 2 weeks. We transferred them from brooder to a makeshift coop in our dog run...and they've been in the actual coop for maybe 3 nights now.

We have a combination of Ameraucanas and Silver Wyandottes. One of the Wyandottes seems to be a rooster, not sure just yet, but we've found a farm to rehome him to down in San Martin, just in case. We're also considering the crow collar as an option.

Last time I had a flock 2007-2009 I wasn't a part of the chicken community - when I relocated to NYC I had to rehome my flock to sweet family in Santa Cruz. So, while I'm not entirely new to chickenry, I am definitely not an expert! Looking to learn and share with you all.

I've also just joined the Yahoo Group Silicon Valley Chickens - if you're a member there, please say hello!

Linda

2. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Linda, glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. If you have any ??? birds just post photos at "what breed or gender is this," and they will sort them out for you.

The jury is "out" on the no crow collars. Sometimes they work, and sometimes not at all. They also can cause injury if not adjusted properly. Too loose and the roos have been known to get a foot stuck, trying to scratch them off. Too tight and the bird suffers.

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Linda and welcome to BYC - please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes

CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. LosGatosLinda

LosGatosLinda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    I'll see if I can get some close up shots of him/her today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by