introduction + lice problem

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nahomi, Jan 21, 2016.

1. nahomi

nahomi New Egg

Sep 2, 2015
    Vista, California
    Hi im Nahomi, and I'm new to BYC. So around 8 months ago I decided I wanted to start a flock, so I went out and bought two little chicks; a Delaware and a Australorp. Lola is the Delaware and Nita (named after a Mexican pastry lol) is the Australorp. So my girls had a nice homely coop, and they were very well cared for. Unfortunately around eight months later, I lost my Nita due to an accident with the cage door and a loose dog. Lola and Nita were extremely close, so i spent around a month searching for a new companion for my Lola until I found her one. I'm not entirely sure what breed she is, but she's very cute I'll tell you that lol. Turns out the home she came from before was in terrible conditions. She's incredibly docile and sweet, despite being abused and neglected.She's very thin ( gaining pounds by the minute with a proper diet), she has her beak cut, she has a small cold (getting better but still not entirely ok, home remedies much needed ), and she has poultry lice. I've tried to get her to dust bathe but it seems she doesn't know how. Any recommendations? Thanks!

2. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Welcome to the forum. [​IMG]

As I understand it, dust bathing helps prevent lice getting out of hand to cause a serious infestation, but once you've got such an infestation, you need to use insecticide to kill the bugs. Get some poultry dust and use that.

I'd be more concerned about her signs of having a cold. Is she quarantined from Lola until she recovers? I'd be looking for a diagnosis of what she's got so that Lola isn't put at risk from it. I'm not knowledgeable about chook diseases but the more experienced keepers will have some advice, I'm sure.

3. nahomi

nahomi New Egg

Sep 2, 2015
    Vista, California

Do you have any brands of poultry dust which you recommend?

When she first arrived I didn't see signs of sickness so she was not quarantined. Lola hasn't shown any signs of sickness (she's quite healthy so I'm not very worried about her.) It's been around a week.

However my parents used to have chickens before and they recommended giving one clove of garlic a day, which I think has helped her recovery.

4. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

No, and the brand/s they sell over here might not be the same as you have. Your parents might know, otherwise just go up to the place you get all your chicken "stuff" and see what they've got. You need to repeat the insecticide to kill new bugs that hatch out.

Was Lola vaccinated as a baby?

5. nahomi

nahomi New Egg

Sep 2, 2015
    Vista, California

Not on my behalf,Lola is a purina chick bought from a feed store.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Nahomi!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your girl!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Then they usually come already vaccinated. Certain laws require it. :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you could also put "lice" in the search box and see what others suggest.

9. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Wood ash is good for lice, but if she has lice I would oil her with olive oil to start with, a bit gross but better than being bitten by lice. Keep her nice and warm tho if she has a cold, oil in the wind will make her cold. How is she?

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by