Introduction - Marcy54 new from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marcy54, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Marcy54

Marcy54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2014
    Shapleigh, ME
    Hi, my name is Marcy, I had chicken about four years ago when I first moved to Maine. Shortly after raising them from new little peeps, to twelve week olds, my husband took a job a few hours from our farm in northern Maine. Luckily, we were able to rehome my five little chicklets, and although I hated to leave them, they went to a very good home. We have been renting since 2011, and closed on our house finally a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, I got a new chicken coop, and yesterday, we painted it barn red. I am going to let it dry for a couple of weeks while I get things ready for my new girls. I located a local hatchery where I can get some pullets. I am thinking of getting six to start, they have a few different types to choose from that should start laying in September. My plan is to take the visiting grandkids with me mid August and let them each pick out a couple. We are in an area where we could have a rooster. I have heard pros and cons but must admit that I am leaning towards not. The coop is pretty predator proof I think, we have looked it over and the man who built it for me claims that it is. I am hoping to look around here to get some ideas for what to look for. I look forward to getting to know you.

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Welcome and congrats! [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I think your leaning toward not having a rooster is a wise decision as roosters can tend to be hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them; the recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens). As far as protecting the flock, there may be some value in that with the more aggressive game roosters, but among the docile egg layers I have raised over the past 50 years, I haven't seen one rooster that was any good at it. Not only have I lost as many hens free ranging with a rooster as without, but sometimes it was the rooster himself that fell victim to the predator. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If you are only interested in eggs and pets, skip the rooster. They can cause more trouble than they are worth. Build and over build the coop. If you can't break in, then neither can they. Make sure nothing can dig, claw or chew their way in. And don't use chicken wire on any exterior parts of the coop or run. Hardware cloth only.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Hens are great egg producers and are generally friendlier. Roosters will defend the flock and provide fertile eggs.

8. Marcy54

Marcy54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2014
    Shapleigh, ME
    I am kind of thinking of getting a couple of guinea hens, someone locally told me they are good with chickens and yell if things come around.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree on NO rooster. Guineas are great tick eaters and do sound the alarm but aren't that particular about doing so. If they see anything different like a bucket turned over, that can set off the alarm - if you had a flock of them, they might mob the bucket trying to get it to leave. What's not to like - sounds like a lot of fun. [​IMG]

You may want to check out your state thread to see what breeds handle your climate best.
    Locals could also point you to people who may be selling what you'd like to buy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by