Introduction of a former flock juvenile that needed to be seperated

4paws1983

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
East Tennessee
We had to pull one of our 7 month old hens 2 months ago due to a serious beak break. Since then she has healed and we were lucky enough for it to grow back.
Our issue has been 2 reintroduction to the same flock she was pulled from. I have 2-3 hens that gang up on her .
We need help from pros and experienced individuals please !

We had to pull one of our 7 month old hens 2 months ago due to a serious beak break. Since then she has healed and we were lucky enough for it to grow back.
Our issue has been 2 reintroduction to the same flock she was pulled from. I have 2-3 hens that gang up on her .
I am sure you already realized this, but next time you have to seperate a bird make sure it can see the rest of the flock and vise versa.

THEN after that put the mean birds in the pen, and let her out with the others.

It is very tricky to add a single bird to a strange flock, after 2 months, she is considered a strange bird.

A lot depends on the room that you have. If you have a great deal of room, add a single bird from the middle of the flock (walk away from your birds, call out, and throw down a good treat, the first ones there are the top birds, the last one there or the ones that dart in and out, are the low birds, your don't want either of them, but rather a bird in the middle. Put a bird one on one - be a dust up, but not too serious generally. Let that get established, and either add a pair to them, or add the pair to the flock.

I have had very good luck, with letting the flock out of the coop/run and locking them out, with her inside the coop/run. This will allow them to see her in there, and will let her explore it without being chased for her life. This works especially well if you really don't have space for a pen in the coop. Try feeding along the fence line. As close to dark as you can, let the others back in.

How many birds total....and their ages(in weeks or months)?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would be most helpful here.

Meanwhile, this might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might these tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Oh and.... Welcome to BYC! @4paws1983
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1634206784203.png

We have 9 hens in total, that is including the seperated (post injured hen). So 8 hens in the run/coop at this time. They are all 11 months old , and we purchased them all together .
The coop run is about 14x16, and the hen house attached for shelter is 6x8.
I attached some pictures with my post.
Thanks for all the help !! I have been trying so hard to integrate but unsure when enough is enough when they pin her down.

Attachments

• Attach0_20210302_184334.jpg
    Attach0_20210302_184334.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210228_155456.jpg
    20210228_155456.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Attach0_20210316_223614.jpg
    Attach0_20210316_223614.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 2
Great advice from @Mrs. K Once she has made her place with the less aggressive birds - a matter of days, not hours - add the aggressive birds one at a time over a period of time. Good luck.

I am sure you already realized this, but next time you have to seperate a bird make sure it can see the rest of the flock and vise versa.
Unfortunately being a new chicken owner we have learned that the hard way . At the time we really had no choice with her pain level and part of her beak hanging off. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom