Introduction of rooster to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wallydvr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Wallydvr

Wallydvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    I have two rir pullets, and two br pullets. They are 19 weeks old. I was going to drive to myers hatcheries to pick up two easter egger pullets, and a br rooster. They have twenty week old stock. How do i introduce them into my flock? My pullets are from Meyers. I don't but one coop and run.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. Wallydvr

Jul 30, 2012
    Anyone?

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    When I introduced my 1 year old Jack to the 7 ladies it was first through a fenced off area.That way he could strut his stuff,and the ladies could scope him out,but not attack him.Alas,once I put them together all hell broke loose.The head lady fought him hard. I think one or 2 others fought him too.In the end HE had the bloody comb,but HE was top dog.

It is recommended that you keep new bird isolated for a month. In the least a week,but many things show up by a month.Check for mites and other bugs.I forgot to do that. Could you put them in a dog crate in the garage? That is what I did.Actually it was a playpen with bird netting on top.He had food and water.

Could just put them all in at night and in the am the fight for pecking order will begin. I put my new hens in with the old hens at night.They were quiet at night,but sun up the hens pecked each other. I actually got the rooster to get the hen pecking under control.

So,diseases are your first concern.Night time into the coop is good for the hens.Rooster either night or day.Watch them though so you can pull them apart if there is any serious attacking. It was kind of hard to stand back and watch them fight,but thank goodness it did not last long!

4. Wallydvr

Jul 30, 2012
    All my birds are from meyers, and that's where I'm going to get my rooster.Do you think it will be as bad if the rooster is only twenty weeks old?

5. Wallydvr

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by