1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduction Problems with ameraucana flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hcammack, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Today I tried to intro my new Ameraucana pullets to the flock again and they took a beating and had allot of feathers pullet and their combs are bloody again. I have them in the cage again but may set them up in the chicken tractor for a few months while they grow out some more. My hope was that the cockeral would accept them imediatly but he and the Black Copper pullet who are the same age or only a bit older then these girls seem to be handing out the beating. If he keeps up like this I may be looking for a new boy in the fall. He is so sweet with his girls and not aggressive to me. When this happened I was out their and I defended these girls as if I were their rooster I slapped the BCM and the Cockeral around a bit and separated the girls. I would like to put them in soon but how long do you think I should wait. I thought the boy would be happy about having new girlfriends but he seems aggressive towards them!
    What do you guys think I have no experaince with roosters and cockeral behavior?

I think my options are:

1. keep them in the cage in the coop (takes up allot of coop space [​IMG] )
    2. set them up in the tractor for a month maximum (my mom will be caring for the birds and its allot of work to have two separate flocks)
    3. let them get beat up its a natural part of things?
    4. Separate the rooster out which may improve things but not much at all
    5. Cull this cockeral and purchase a new one from a different breeding line but not until next fall [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Henry

2. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I was told to add new chickens at night. I have done it several times and it works. The next morning there isn't much fighting. You might want to try it to see if it works. Good Luck.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I will try that [​IMG] I think it may actually be the little girls problem with being afraid of all the hens and cockeral that is getting them chased not sure though [​IMG]

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What is the age you guys usually introduce your young birds to the older ones.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I only introduce young birds to the flock when they are about 20 weeks of age and I make sure that there are at least three of them to spread the "beatings".

The black variety of ameraucana seems to be the worst for getting along with others.

Keep them in the tractor near everyone else. The cockerel is young and doesn't know what he is doing yet. An older cock would know to be nice to the new girls, honey is better for catching flies......

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Henry, I have never introduced adult birds here, but when the teens get large enough to run with the flock, they have usually seen each other through the fence for quite awhile already. Then they are put together when they are freeranging so there is plenty of running room. I haven't had too much trouble doing it this way. Maybe they need to see each other awhile before you put them in the same space.
    EDITED TO ADD: Well, I did introduce Hawkeye, but it's different introducing a grown rooster, I think. He was in charge by the second day with the flock.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    pips&peeps :

I only introduce young birds to the flock when they are about 20 weeks of age and I make sure that there are at least three of them to spread the "beatings".

The black variety of ameraucana seems to be the worst for getting along with others.

Keep them in the tractor near everyone else. The cockerel is young and doesn't know what he is doing yet. An older cock would know to be nice to the new girls, honey is better for catching flies......

LOL I hope he learns he is still subject to the wishes of the Amozon hens [​IMG] I will keep them in the tractor though my Mom wont be happy so probably another month or so and they should be good to go. The black Ameraucana girl is getting along pretty well but the little splash and other black are getting beat up pretty bad. Tomorrow I will set up the heat lamp and other stuff in the tractor for them and they can just move with the movable coop around the yard.

Thanks,
    Henry​

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I am going to keep them separate but close for a bit and then see what happens or give my mom insturctions that is [​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    You could also cage the cockerel for a few days until all of the girls have worked out their order of things. I have a lot of young guys and they can be a little aggressive with all of those hormones flowing. I pen them up periodically and or hobble them. I do not let them breed hens while I am in the coops either.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:That sounds like a good idea I might cage up him and the BCM pullet instead of the Ameraucana girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by