Introduction to me and my girls...

ArleneGrenier

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Hi everyone!
smile.png

I have always wanted to have chickens and for the first time in my 54 years on this planet I'm in a position to play! I dove right in and ordered 25 Miller's White Leghorns on May 19th. The girls where only a couple days old and I'm thrilled to have them! I'm still nervous about them and don't want to do anything to cause them stress. We live in a very cold climate (up to 40 below in the winters) and it's been none stop rain for the past month. This morning the lamp is out on the heat lamp and I'm wondering how long I should keep it on for them? Should I keep it off now until the fall? They have their white feathers and fly around all over the place and certainly don't look like they are suffering. We are expanding the coop in the fall because I want to add another 25 birds next spring! Thrilled to be a part of your community....

Welcome! I am also a newbe. This is a very adictive and informative place to be. Congrats on the new chickens. I only have 2 silkies right now but have 24 eggs in an incubator. Hope at least a few hatch. Also have ordered 7 chicks to arrive at the end of June. Where abouts are you from?

I just re-read your post and Zebra Finch are another "interest" of mine! Don't have as much of a Zoo as you, lol but will get there...

welcome-byc.gif

Have you noticed them avoiding the lamp lately? I would probably get a replacement to have handy just in case they looked like they were needing it.

Back
Top Bottom