Introduction To Straw...HAHAH

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NestingHillsSC, Mar 12, 2012.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I made the mistake of buying the shavings instead of the fine pine. At 2 weeks they don't walk. RUN, FLY,RUN, FLY....[​IMG]All the big shaving just go out the sides. What a mess. So I put some straw in there, just a bit. They are having a ball with that stuff. A new toy for them. [​IMG] Going to start setting them outside in there brooder tomorrow. Going to be high 70's and low 80's now. Start getting them use to the older birds and outside. Not in with them of course, but just so they can see them. Need to get them out of here!!! Never again raising in the house. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    great idea! i've used the shavings too and they get all over the place, sometimes even with a cardboard box brooder! i also worry they will eat the little pieces when they're super young....that's why i usually use paper towels. but with straw....or hay....i wouldn't worry about any of that stuff! i DO worry they could poke themselves in the eyes though. but then again, with chicks born outside with a momma, they're exposed to all that stuff anyway. i'm gonna try it this year. i also don't keep my babies indoors too long. if it's fairly warm, out they go by 2 weeks!

3. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    What a difference in them. They just love the straw and being outside. I never seen them run sooo much. there always poking there heads out to grab a leaf or feather from the hens or something. Playing tug-of-war with them. Nice to see them acting like this. Actually less scared of you outside. I think I still have to take them in at night for a few nights. Getting to mid-to low 50's. Not sure if that's still warm enough?? Might be though.

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    depends how old they are i think. and how many do you have? i had 16 chicks a couple years ago and they went outside at 2 weeks and it got down to around 50ish at night. but they stayed in their little chick coop with plenty of straw and each other. my husband said "can't they keep each other warm with their body heat? like a mother hen?" and of course i thought he was right and they were just fine. i just closed their coop door of course and made sure the little window was closed too.

5. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yea. As of now, I don't have a little coop right now. But my plan is to use the 10x10 run and coop I have right now as a brooder and biuld another run and coop next to this one. That way when I hatch and raise the little ones, they will be in eyes contact with the older birds. So when I put them in with them they won't fight. And when I'm not using this run and coop to raise the birds, if I need it I can use it as my chicken hospital or for new birds before introducing them to the other birds.

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    yeah, sounds kinda like what i have. my big girls free range for most of the day. but they do have a coop with a very big run too. along side the big girl run is a very small coop with a pretty small run. i have always used this as my grow out coop/pen for the babies. and the big girls can see the babies too, which is good. but this year i'm turning it into a silkie coop eventually. (later in the year) and who knows, maybe i can even let my silkies eventually live along WITH the big girls. i love silkies and i had ONE silkie once who grew up as babies with the LF girls and everyone got along great, until one day the big girls just decided to pick on my silkie. poor girl. i had to rehome her. so i'm keeping them separate now (once i hatch some out). but it could've also been cuz i only had ONE silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by