Introduction

gingery56

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2019
I am 75 and have recently discovered that I really enjoy homesteading activities, so in the last year I have acquired a milk cow, 2 young heifers, 2 steers, 2 Llamas, 2 cats, 11 goats, and my chickens & guineas. I have Black australorps and we had 11 hens and 1 rooster. I have lost 2 hens to hawks and last week lost my rooster. I'm not sure why. One day he didn't look well and the next day he was gone. He was a wonderful protector of my hens and maybe he was struck by a hawk. I need an adult rooster replacement and ran across this forum in searching for one. I have a closed flock so I'm concerned about getting my rooster from someone who is as particular as I am about having healthy birds. I live 15 minutes south of Fort Worth, Tx.
My other hobbies have to do with homesteading. I make all of my own bread, butter, yogurt and also make aged and fresh cheeses.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

I would imagine that acquiring said cock bird would not be too difficult. You can participate on the buy/sell/trade forum once you have made 20 posts.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome

Hi, it's. nice to have you here! Sorry about the loss of your rooster, I hope you find another you like. Before you add a new guy to your flock, read up on isolation...that can help to ensure your flock stays healthy.

Best wishes to you, thanks for joining us!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sounds like you've made yourself a very nice homestead.
Do any of your girls go broody? Maybe you could buy day old chicks that included a few males that you could slip under a broody hen. When the cockerels matured, you could pick your best boy to run the flock. Maybe even keep a "second in command" in case something got your leader again.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom