oldcircusbread

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
I'm new, so per the registration instructions, here are my answers:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We just bought a coop and were readying to buy chickens (we wanted heritage breeds and are finding most hatcheries are marketing as heritage but they aren't really so we're on hold trying to find what we want; we'd like to get 2 heritage austrolorp females, and 2 heritage barred Plymouth rock females, and 1 male. It looks like everyone online is sold out of heritage birds for the spring! Help?!?

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
0, hopefully soon to be 5.

(3) What breeds do you have?
None, but I'd hope to find some heritage Barred Plymouth Rock and heritage austrolorps for this spring.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Helping reduce food insecurity in a semi-arid desert in the economic aftermath of COVID19.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a teacher leader in the state trying to raise consciousness about trauma-informed education and adverse childhood experiences, I love to read and hike, am new to RVing (have a 21' TT), and am spearheading an effort in my own community to revive victory gardens in the wake of COVID19 aftermath.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I've been living in sin with my partner for 8 years, and we've been living as a mixed family with two children from prior relationships. We have a mini aussie and a white shiba and are designing and planting our first backyard garden this year with Birdie's planters (I almost made some of my own, but decided I liked the idea of them more).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found you via Google after looking for Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks for sale this spring that are actually heritage.

Attachments

• 91373333_1582902881875532_3914027662762311680_o.jpg
    91373333_1582902881875532_3914027662762311680_o.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to Backyard Chickens that is pretty small coop for even 5 fill sized birds
That's good to know. The person we purchased it from said they had five in it just fine. We plan to let them free range during the summer of course in our yard, but in the winter that'd be it. Everything I've read online says 2-3 sq feet per chicken. At 2, that'd be 10 feet. At 3, that'd be 15 feet. We've got 12. We definitely didn't want to go above that, but can you elaborate?

That's good to know. The person we purchased it from said they had five in it just fine. We plan to let them free range during the summer of course in our yard, but in the winter that'd be it. Everything I've read online says 2-3 sq feet per chicken. At 2, that'd be 10 feet. At 3, that'd be 15 feet. We've got 12. We definitely didn't want to go above that, but can you elaborate?
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The guidelines you've read for space come from the commercial egg laying industry. They need closer to 3 to 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and a bare minimum of 10 sq ft per bird in the run.

Back
Top Bottom