Introduction

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cathyg, Aug 14, 2007.

1. cathyg

cathyg New Egg

May 7, 2007
    I have one rooster and 11 hens (black Astrolop and Buff Orphingtons) that were hatched back at the end of May. I have acquired 6 new chicks (fancy feather feet breed) they are about 7 or 8 weeks old. How do I go about introducing and adding them in with my older hens ? I have them in a separate hutch and outdoor pen right now. They are able to hear each other and see each other everyday but if I try to let the little ones go outside (the older ones have free range) the pen the older ones seem to pick at them some. soem advise please !

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I wouldn't let them mix until the little ones are full grown and can fend for themselves. There will be some fighting, however, as they settle into their pecking order.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. cathyg

cathyg New Egg

May 7, 2007
    Any idea when they are about full grown ? I have no idea what breed they are exactly. Or if they are the standard size or if they will be the size of a bantie. First year at this but it's been great fun.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Well, most breeds are getting close by 18 weeks or so.
    You can post pictures of your chicks on here and probably someone can ID them for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by