introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by braines10, Aug 27, 2013.

1. braines10

braines10 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey all you chicken goers out there. I got my first chickens this spring and have been reading a lot on here to answer all my questions. Seems like every time i do a google search it brings me back here. So i decided to join. First off about my flock, i started with 6 chicks from tractor supply. I lost 2 to a dog spooking them through the chicken tractor i built. I work a lot and as they got a few weeks older i bought 8 white leghorns from the local feed store. On July 4th this year a mamma bear and her cub broke into the coop that i threw together in a day(it was made cheap and not sturdy). I lost 2 white leghorns that night. Then a few weeks later something caught another whitey. I now have a 25 mile 1J fence up, so far no more losses. Both my bramah bantams turned out to be roos. Now that the whiteys are older, 4 of the 5 left are roos, so i guess my wife and i will have some good suppers coming up. I have purchased 5 more rhode island reds and one golden... they are doing good so far, still not laying though. Look forward to learning more. I will be building a better coop soon, pictures when im in progress.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] I'm sorry about all your loses. I know the feeling on all roo's the same thing happened to me. I soon found out that trade is a good thing in our area and I longer worry about getting roosters.
    There is lots of info on here. If you should need anything, I will try to help PM me

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I reallyt sympathize with you but, if a bear came thru my yard, I'd be long gone!!![​IMG]

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN !!! Bears are tough, but the Efence will hopefully keep them off. Those extra Roo's sure make good Chicken and Dumplings !

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site and I'm sorry for your loss

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by